[ General Interviews Interviews: Fellows ]

Six Questions: Kristy Tucker, Bassoon

Get To Know the Festival's 2018 Fellows
July 27, 2018

Canadian bassoonist KRISTY TUCKER is currently studying with Frank Morelli at the Yale School of Music, and holds degrees from McGill University and the University of Manitoba. She is the recipient of many awards, including winning the University of Manitoba concerto competition, and receiving a Manitoba Arts Council Grant, WMC scholarships, and National Youth Orchestra Canada’s Award of Excellence. In addition, she has been a semi-finalist in the Meg Quigley Vivaldi competition, the WMC Mclellan Competition, and finalist in the McGill Concerto Competition.
In her spare time, Tucker enjoys watching cooking shows and attempting (and usually failing) to recreate recipes with the limited ingredients found in her cupboard. | Sponsored Sukey Wagner

What is a favorite non-musical activity / what do you enjoy doing on your down time?

I really enjoy cooking and baking, but not in New England summers because the heat from the oven and the stove is a little too much for me to handle.

What are the first 5 items on your playlist?

Ravel: String Quartet

Stravinsky: Dumbarton Oaks Concerto

Tchaikovsky: 2nd Symphony

Cher: Gypsies Tramps and Thieves

Lizzo: Good as Hell 

What book are you currently reading?

Dostoyevsky: Crime and Punishment

Why did you choose your instrument?

I chose my instrument one unfortunate day in high school band class when my band teacher asked if anyone wanted to switch from their instrument to bassoon. She said that if I switched, I didn’t have to sit in band class and could just sit by myself in a practice room and learn to play. Being the social butterfly I am, nothing sounded more appealing than not having to talk to anyone for an hour every day.

Do you have any pre-concert traditions?

Before concerts, I like to pace around the room do a few stretches

If you could create and play in any chamber ensemble, whom would it include?

My fantasy chamber group is a woodwind quintet composed of my myself and 4 colleagues that I’ve played with over the years in different ensembles, all of whom I will not name because they have no idea they are in my fantasy quintet and will probably be a little creeped out.

COMMENTS ( 0 )