[ General Interviews: Fellows ]

Six Questions: Lisa Sung, Viola

Get To Know the Festival's 2018 Fellows
July 28, 2018

Hailed by the Australian Daily Telegraph as a “viola prodigy,” LISA SUNG is a special prize winner of the 2016 Lionel Tertis Viola International Competition, silver prize winner of the 2017 Manhattan International and 2017 Vivo International Music Competitions, and is a winner of the Australian States Concerto Competition. Festival appearances include Music@ Menlo (International Program), Taos Chamber Music Festival, Perlman Music Program (Chamber Workshop), and IMS Prussia Cove. She has recently graduated from The Juilliard School where she was a proud recipient of the inaugural Kovner Fellowship scholarship under the tutelage of Paul Neubauer. 

What is a favorite non-musical activity / what do you enjoy doing on your down time?

Taking walks, watching Netflix and going out to eat with friends.

What are the first 5 items on your playlist?

I use Spottily to listen to whatever I feel like according to my mood, usually something uplifting or chill.

What book are you currently reading?

Where We Belong’by Emily Giffin

Why did you choose your instrument?

I originally played violin since I was three years old. In my hometown, in Sydney, Australia there are music scholarships available to attend private schools for free, but you must play two instruments to be eligible. My violin professor at the time also taught viola so he encouraged me to start it at age 11. After I passed the scholarship audition I thought I’d no longer play the viola but the school expected me to play it in the orchestras! Within a couple years during middle school I decided to pursue the viola after becoming slowly attached to its rich and dark timbre.

Do you have any pre-concert traditions?

Take a nap and play less.

If you could create and play in any chamber ensemble, whom would it include?

I would love to play a piano quartets with Emanuel Ax, David Oistrakh, and Steven Isserlis.

COMMENTS ( 0 )