[ General Interviews Interviews: Fellows ]

Six Questions: Noemi Sallai, Clarinet

Get To Know the Festival's 2018 Fellows
July 28, 2018

Aspiring Hungarian clarinetist NOÉMI SALLAI has been the winner of several international clarinet competitions and has played with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and the Budapest Festival Orchestra conducted by Iván Fischer. She is pursuing her MM at The Juilliard School, studying with Jon Manasse and is a recipient of the Irene Diamond Scholarship. Sallai received BM and BA degrees from Bard College, studying with Laura Flax, David Krakauer and Anthony McGill. She is not only  a passionate interpreter of orchestral, chamber and solo  repertoire but also an enthusiast of klezmer music and drawing.  | Clement Clarke Moore Scholarship | noemisallaiclarinet.com

What is a favorite non-musical activity / what do you enjoy doing on your down time?

I am keen on any creative activity such as origami, drawing or creating figures out of beads.

What are the first 5 items on your playlist?

Besides classical music, that takes up some of my playlist, I also enjoy listening to Eastern-European folk music, classical rock, and heavy metal.

What book are you currently reading?

Currently I am not reading any book in particular, however in times I need intellectual or spiritual support I always return to the poems of my favorite Hungarian author, György Faludy.

Why did you choose your instrument?

I would say I chose it by accident. I started out playing the recorder and my first music teacher also taught accordion and clarinet so I ended up playing the clarinet.

Do you have any pre-concert traditions?

Before going on stage I like to be in silence and visualize what I am about to play.

If you could create and play in any chamber ensemble, whom would it include?

I would love to play a duet with Richard Mühlfeld!

COMMENTS ( 0 )