[ General Interviews Interviews: Fellows ]

Six Questions: Cherry Choi Tung Yeung, Violin

Get To Know the Festival's 2018 Fellows
July 18, 2018

CHERRY CHOI TUNG YEUNG, violin, was born in Hong Kong and studies with Ida Kavafian at The Juilliard School. Yeung has been admitted to the highly selective accelerated program, where she will finish both the bachelor’s and master’s program in four years. Yeung is a laureate of the Hudson Valley Philharmonic String Competition, The Juilliard Violin Competition, New York Philharmonic Global Academy, Alice & Eleonore Schoenfeld International String Competition, Hong Kong Youth String Competition, and the Hong Kong Academy for the Performing Arts Concerto Competition. Apart from music, she enjoys swimming and exploring New York City.

What is a favorite non-musical activity / what do you enjoy doing on your down time?

I really like watching dramas and movies as well as NBA on my down time.

What are the first 5 items on your playlist?

See you again  by Charlie Puth
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6
Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 2
Mahler: Symphony No. 5  (the Adagietto)
Chopin: Ballade No. 4

What book are you currently reading?

I am currently taking a break from reading, I think I’ll start again after summer.

Why did you choose your instrument?

It was a funny story, I started because my older brother wanted to learn the violin, so I went with him. The teacher found the smallest violin she had, and she asked me to learn it together with my brother. But after two months, my brother quit because the gesture of holding the violin is tiring, and I continued to play until now.

Do you have any pre-concert traditions?

I need to eat a lemon flavored candy before going on stage.

If you could create and play in any chamber ensemble, whom would it include?

I would like to have violinist Janine Jansen, cellist Mischa Maisky, pianist Martha Argerich, and violin/viola/conductor Yuri Bashmet in the ensemble. I think it will be pretty cool.

COMMENTS ( 0 )