[ General Interviews Interviews: Fellows ]

Six Questions: Elliot Lichtenberg, Oboe

Get To Know the Festival's 2018 Fellows
July 20, 2018

ELLIOT LICHTENBERG is entering his second year as a master’s student in oboe at the Yale School of Music, studying with Stephen Taylor. He recently earned his bachelor’s degree from the Eastman School of Music, studying with Richard Killmer. Lichtenberg has performed with the New World Symphony, Battle Creek Symphony, and over recent summers has participated in music festivals such as the National Repertory Orchestra and Round Top Festival Institute. In his free time, Elliot enjoys folding origami, playing with his dog Mozie, arranging music, climbing, and wandering through the forest.

What is a favorite non-musical activity / what do you enjoy doing on your down time?

My favorite activities include folding origami, climbing, and in the springtime, hunting for mushrooms.

What are the first 5 items on your playlist?

Bach: Mass in b minor

Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie

Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 24 in c minor

Stölzel: Serenata Alles was sonst lieblich heißet

Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A Major

What book are you currently reading?

Morel Hunting by John and Theresa Maybrier

Why did you choose your instrument?

It was more or less a coincidence. I picked two instruments to try at a band orientation in 4th grade – the the trombone and oboe. After being unable to produce one note on the trombone, I considered oboe as the better option. I was inspired to continue after seeing a DVD performance of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony which left me desiring nothing more than to recreate that music someday.

Do you have any pre-concert traditions?

Nap and/or listen to baroque music!

If you could create and play in any chamber ensemble, whom would it include?

I would love to play in a wind octet with members of the Dresden Court Orchestra from the 18th century.

COMMENTS ( 0 )