[ General Interviews Interviews: Fellows ]

Six Questions: Clare Monfredo, Cello

Get To Know the Festival's 2018 Fellows
July 27, 2018

CLARE MONFREDO is a New York City-based cellist committed to chamber music and collaboration across the arts. She has performed extensively abroad, most recently as a guest with Ensemble Intercontemporain. As a fellow at the Tanglewood Music Center, Clare was the recipient of the Karl Zeise Memorial Cello Award and worked closely with artists such as Yo-Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax. In 2016-17 she studied in Leipzig, Germany on a Fulbright Scholarship. Monfredo received her MM from Rice University and is a recipient of the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s Graduate Artist Award. Clare is currently a  doctoral candidate at the CUNY Graduate Center. | Sponsored By Pat And Kurt Steele

What is a favorite non-musical activity / what do you enjoy doing on your down time?

Anything outside in this beautiful weather! I especially love going to Tobey Pond (in Norfolk).

What are the first 5 items on your playlist?

I don’t really listen to playlists but 5 albums I’ve been into lately:

Esperanza Spalding: Emily’s D+ Evolution

Arthur Russell: Love is overtaking me

Haitus Kaiyote: Choose Your Weapon

Zehaitmair Quartett: Robert Schumann SQs

Janelle Monae: Dirty Computer

What book are you currently reading?

Outline by Rachel Cusk

Why did you choose your instrument?

My older sister started on the violin, and being the younger/competitive child I was very jealous and wanted to play too. However, my parents thought it was a bad idea for us to play the same instrument so I started on the cello.

Do you have any pre-concert traditions?

I like to relax and then listen to upbeat funk as I get ready for a performance.

If you could create and play in any chamber ensemble, whom would it include?

I would love to play with the Teztlaff Quartet, also the Bremen Kammerorchester (basically I want to become Tanya Teztlaff).

COMMENTS ( 0 )