[ General Interviews Interviews: Fellows ]

Six Questions: Rachyl Duffy, Viola

Get To Know the Festival's 2018 Fellows
July 27, 2018

Violist RACHYL DUFFY (Norfolk ’17) burst onto the classical music scene on both coasts in 2015 when she won both the prestigious Pasadena Showcase House Instrumental Competition and the Hugo Kauder International Competition for Viola. She then went on to join the San Diego Symphony while completing  her MM degree at the Colburn Conservatory with Paul Coletti.  She now lives out her dreams of making a difference teaching at the Brooklyn Music School, and is jumping into the New York chamber music scene. Duffy enjoys social latte drinking, inhaling novels, and casual dabbling in arts and crafts of all sorts. | Paul And Susan Hawkshaw Scholarship

What is a favorite non-musical activity / what do you enjoy doing on your down time?

I love to read books, watch movies, and have good conversations with friends!

What are the first 5 items on your playlist?

I rotate drastically between different singer-songwriters depending on my mood! I rarely listen to classical music unless it matches my exact mood, or the mood I want to feel!

What book are you currently reading?

How to Stop Time and The Secret Garden

Why did you choose your instrument?

Because I am very tall. Also I love the deep sound of viola.

Do you have any pre-concert traditions?

I try to eat very healthy, sleep soundly, and get outdoors before performing. I try to avoid practicing my repertoire in order to be inspired in the moment and assure myself that I don’t need to worry! If it’s not ready by the day of the concert, it’s too late to learn it!

If you could create and play in any chamber ensemble, whom would it include?

Augustin Hadelich (violin), Janine Jansen (violin), and Yo-Yo Ma cello.

COMMENTS ( 0 )